Friday, November 14, 2014

DECLUTTER...it will happen!!!

Great ideas for decluttering everything. Be a declutter pro! It's ironic that I found this just now on Pinetrest. I have been doing so much reading on how less is the best. I have started actually decluttering - you wouldn't know it by seeing each room but I have gotten rid of stuff. I have to face it - I have WAY TOO MUCH STUFF!!!

I will get rid of the "stuff" though, I am determined. Like this lady below says:

"Instead of organizing, I started decluttering. I stopped worrying about solving problems and establishing systems, and I just purged...

Decluttering is hard enough. It’s gut-wrenching, heart-breaking, physically exhausting work.
But it’s worth it"

I sure hope so. The hardest part it has been for me, I want to do it in one day. I am thankful for these articles as some of them have said it took them up to a year or more to get where they wanted to be.

When objects (not people!) get old, they often become obsolete and lose usefulness to ANYONE. So letting them sit in storage waiting to be used is a big waste, even a huge waste of money! Pass things on while they are in their prime!! The person who needs it will be thankful AND you can be thankful you don’t have a clutter-filled house. - See more at: http://maryorganizes.com/2013/08/your-junk-or-your-life/#sthash.p70bno2u.dpuf

 Clutter is a weight Boy has it ever. I am so sick of turning around and seeing stuff everywhere. If it wasn't so late right now and if I wasn't so tired after working 10 1/2 hours I would be purging now. I needed a break and this helps me to relax and motivate me hopefully for tomorrow.

Wow that Mary Organizes.com she challenges to get rid of 10 things in 6 days - wow 60 things are gone. That wouldn't be hard for me, because I see at least 60 things in this room now that I could easily get rid of.

Stop feeling like you need to fill a void with stuff. - See more at: http://maryorganizes.com/2012/11/quit-your-free-thinking/#sthash.2idn5IGi.dpuf
 William Morris - Functional and Beautiful
Less stuff means less housework! The clutter and mess you need to clean up is limited to the quantity of what you own! - See more at: http://maryorganizes.com/2013/05/secrets-of-the-organized-1/#sthash.ybU4wEtD.dpuf

I am having a hard time to part with my notes I have taken throughout the years on the books I have read, I tried to start that tonight - felt way too overwhelmed. I am hoping to take just a few pages or so out and toss them in the recycle bin. The notes had their use at the time, but I always take more notes because that helps me remember on what I am trying to learn and I enJOY doing them with color pens.

 dealing with sentimental clutter without losing the memories | 31 Days Exploring Minimalism | simple living | keepsakes | upcycling This was a good article to read - they wonderful tips on their website is great.
Minimalism challenges what you thought you knew about what you wanted in life. Minimalism is about having the space and freedom in your life for what really matters. | inspiration, tips, baby steps - because simple living shouldn't be hard The more I read this the more I got excited and wanted to have that minimalism life!

I think with me having Bi-Polar and all, I find it so hard to make decisions at times. Having too many choices doesn't help that at all. What book do I want to read, what outfit to wear, what recipe to try, how many ways can you organize, how long does it take to do such and such...the lists goes on and on. There are so many choices to make every day at work, I would like to come home and relax once in awhile or at least come home to a "tidy" house and not have to hide things when people come over. I want our house to be people ready and when they stop by I don't have to be so distracted because I am afraid they will see the "stuff lying all around". Right now if they came over that is what they would probably see...

I have taken some before and after pictures that I am going to keep on my blog. I have to see results and motivate myself to do more! My goal mainly is the 20+ things to get rid of first and move on from there.


20+ Things You Can Get Rid of Without Even Missing

Here’s a cheat list of some of the most common duplicates that you can get rid of without even missing:
20+ Things You Can Get Rid of Without Even Missing - Common Duplicates from Your Home | 31 Days Exploring Minimalism | simple living, declutter, unclutter, get rid of clutter

Decluttering Your Bedroom

Pillows – ..old pillows stashed in a closet .. floating around our house that didn’t really get used at all.
Sheets – How many extra sheets do you really need? Certainly not more than one extra set per bed.  too.
Hangers – Is your closet littered with a messy mix of hangers?

Decluttering Your Kitchen

Glasses/Mugs – ...you probably still have one or two favorites ...There are probably quite a few that mostly collect dust.
Tupperware/Containers – ...glass is so much better for storing leftovers...  plastic,..way more than you can use at once.
Vases – ... I actually can’t remember the last time I used a vase.
Knives – ...when you buy a knife block with a set of knives, how many of those do you regularly use, and then you still have a bunch of knives in a drawer? My goal is to get rid of our knife block and keep just a few knives on a magnetic strip on the wall.
Ladles/Serving Spoons 
Spatulas
Scrapers
Pitchers
Measuring Spoons and Cups

Note: I suspect that dishwashers make us feel like we need multiples of things. Oh, that thing is dirty and in the dishwasher, thank goodness I can pull out one of my five extras. Only one of the reasons I hate dishwashers.

Decluttering Your Bathroom

Towels – .. how many do you really need? T...cut down to one towel each + a couple guest towels. ... Less laundry, less folding, more space in the cupboard, ...
Toiletries – ... forced myself to use a few things up and threw other things away.
Makeup – ...but why do we just keep hanging on to this stuff?!
Cleaning Supplies – Same as above, trying new things and not ever making ourselves use up the old ones… make yourself use it up or throw it away.
Medicine Cabinet

Decluttering Your Living Room and Office

Books - It feels nice to have a book collection, it does. ...We kept a few favorites that we actually use, and got rid of everything else. .. Even if you do want to hold onto your books, there are probably quite a few you wouldn’t really miss.
Office SuppliesNotebooks, binders, folders… filled largely with good intentions and nothing else. If you have them, make yourself actually use them, or just get rid of them. We had old planners, calendars, you name it. They sat, untouched, in drawers and cupboards. We haven’t missed them in the slightest.
Special Occasion Stuff – ...Unless you have a specific occasion in mind, just get rid of the clutter.
Magazines – Do you keep old magazines, telling yourself you’re going to re-read them some time or make craft projects out of them??? Because you’re not going to.
Craft SuppliesThis is one of the areas that is still on my list to whittle down.... If you don’t have a weekly, or at least monthly, crafting night where you use those supplies you have sitting around, you’re just kidding yourself.

Now, I know it can still be hard to get rid of perfectly good things, even when we recognize that we don’t need them.

If there’s something that has sentimental value, take a picture of it. Take stuff to a consignment store or sell it on Craigslist or Ebay so that you can get money back and reward yourself for good decisions. Goodwill, the Savation Army, and your local thrift store would also be very happy to take your excess, or you could bless someone personally at your church or in your community. It’s going to be doing them more good than it has been taking up space and collecting dust in your house, and you’re going to love the extra space!

Remember: There is an actual cost associated with everything you keep — monetarily, physically, and mentally. Consider that you are paying ‘rent’ for the valuable space all of your belongings take up. These belongings also rob you of the peace you could feel with a clutter-free life. - See more at: http://maryorganizes.com/2013/05/secrets-of-the-organized-1/#sthash.ybU4wEtD.dpuf
Remember: There is an actual cost associated with everything you keep — monetarily, physically, and mentally. Consider that you are paying ‘rent’ for the valuable space all of your belongings take up. These belongings also rob you of the peace you could feel with a clutter-free life. - See more at: http://maryorganizes.com/2013/05/secrets-of-the-organized-1/#sthash.ybU4wEtD.dpuf
Remember: There is an actual cost associated with everything you keep — monetarily, physically, and mentally. Consider that you are paying ‘rent’ for the valuable space all of your belongings take up. These belongings also rob you of the peace you could feel with a clutter-free life. - See more at: http://maryorganizes.com/2013/05/secrets-of-the-organized-1/#sthash.ybU4wEtD.dpuf

1 comment:

  1. We do our best to keep clutter at a minimum. Moving around so much helps, but now we've lived here for 13 years. That's much longer than we've lived anywhere else.

    ReplyDelete