Saturday, July 10, 2010

PAUSE BUTTON...

"Likewise the tongue is a small part of the body, but it makes great boasts. Consider what a great forest is set on fire by a small spark."
James 3:5 (NIV)

"...Several years ago I made a very small, but very life-changing decision. When a hurtful thought comes into my head, I tighten my lips and force a pause button to appear in my brain. When I allow myself to have just a second to think about the potential hazard that could come from 'speaking my mind' it gives the Holy Spirit time to check my heart and motives. In that pause moment I say, "Lord, take control of this tongue." And He does.

Dear Lord, thank You for reminding us that our tongue can rip a heart apart, or seal it back together. Teach us to pause long enough to give Your Spirit time to work in and through us. In Jesus' Name, Amen." Luann Prater

I didn't copy all of her devotion but took the part out that I wanted to remember. I always try to keep things about the tongue on my blog. My tongue has got me into more trouble than I care to remember. I am getting better, listening more - but God is NOT THROUGH with me yet on this. Holy Spirit has "saved" me a few times just this past week when I talked to my boss - OR should I say NOT talk to him. Also with Jerry - but unfortunately some of the words "spilled" out with Jerry - ouch! He knows I am still a work in progress so he gave me some slack - but I sure was convicted.
Speaking of pause button there is a book out there somewhere about pausing before you put something in your mouth. I mean food. For example, let's say there are cookies at your work or wherever for everyone to "eat". You just ate a big meal though, and you really don't have that many calories left for the day. Well, if YOU PAUSE before you grab that cookie and gobble it up - you will think twice about it - and remember what you just ate and what exercise it will take to burn it off. Ask yourself "is it really worth it?" I have tried that a lot this past week - it helped! That sweet temptation is the hardest though....but I KNOW that a "moment pleasure on the lips - is a lifetime on the hips" - but in my case THE GUT!







1 comment:

  1. Thanks, Anita! You're always reminding us of things that are of value to all of us. It's so easy to want to speak our mind and allow things to flow from our tongues instead of "pausing" and asking God to redirect or take care of the situation. You are an inspiration to me. love you, janet

    ReplyDelete