Once again I am trying to surrender sugar - I can't believe what a "hold" it has over me. The other day I was at a prayer tent ordeal and one of the other tents was giving out cookies - I kept on thinking after I pray I am going to get a cookie. So I missed a prayer then and a few other times ; my mind would drift to that cookie. Then the other day when our Pastor officially became "our ordained pastor" - I think that is what they call it, they were having cake, cupcakes, M &M's and mint deals after to celebrate. I couldn't wait for that ceremony to end for I could have some cake! Of course I missed some of what they said.It is ridiculous how I am moved toward sweets that I forget what I am doing.
Yesterday I did a water fast. I read somewhere if you could just not eat "white sugar" for 2 weeks that the craving would go away and stomach fat would melt off. So I am trying it again. Today so far so good - but when I ate my "nuts" I sure missed my dark choc. chips.
Why bother mentioning this in my blog? Well if I write it down and realize just how much I "let myself be led by sweets" instead of God - I realize that sugar is an idol of mine, right? I keep thinking of how hard I exercise the next day or that morning before that I know I am going to eat treats. Then by exercising more in the morning especially, I miss some time that I could be spending with God.
I was reading one of the Proverbs 31 women's post - I think it was Lysa T. (I can't spell her last name). Anyway she gave up sugar completely; lost her weight. She still has children at home I believe so has to have treats in the house. She said she couldn't do it without a lot of prayer. There are times she misses it but realizes how much better she feels.
I can't remember how many times that I have prayed about this too and I actually did good a few times. I wrote out all the scriptures that pertain to "idols", food, etc. I lost some extra pounds - had more energy even! Then at one time I think I can have one cookie, piece of cake, or candy bar - boom! I am right back where I started from in the beginning. Then I would "binge" on it.
So, anyway, I don't know if I am ready to give up sugar - but I am going to try the 2 week thing and see how it goes. I will be doing a lot of praying again, and time to pull out those scriptures again too. It would be so nice not to have to think about "treats". JUST SAY NO!!!
Of course it doesn't help when this Friday the women are having "Small Harbor" and they say bring a treat to share. Oh my...I am bringing nuts - high in calories but so much better for you!
LORD GOD, Your divine power has given me everything I need for life and godliness through my knowledge of You who called me by Your own glory and goodness. (2 Peter 1:3)
Anita, (((HUGS))) I understand 100% what your going through...Mine is pop... Ugh.. I can do away with sweets except for two things..Peanut M&MS and oreos...I do not bring them in the house..As long as they aren't here I am okay..it's when I see it when I go bonkers..and if there is no pop in this house, I am a bear to everyone...For now if we come to pot luck and other things I will be bringing healthy foods..I am determined to lose 15 pounds.. I will be praying for you...Lisa
ReplyDeleteDon't let the devil keep you from fellowship just because there are treats there. He wins when we build walls or stop gathering together. Linda E.
ReplyDelete